For further information or to inquire about classes in Florida or via zoom with Anjali, please email email@example.com.
Anjali began dancing Bharata Natyam as soon as she took her first steps, under the watchful eyes of her mother, Sudha Chandra Sekhar. Anjali began her performance career at an early age and throughout the years, performed in the U.S., Canada and India with Hindu Temple Rhythms, the Indian dance school founded by her grandparents. She was presented in her solo debut, “Bharata Natyam Arangetram,” in 1993. The performance was dedicated to her late father and arts enthusiast, Sankarnarayan Chandra Sekhar.
Anjali teaches Bharata Natyam and Bollywood dance classes. She conducted her first Bharata Natyam Arangetram in 2016. She has presented a total of 11 students in their debut recitals in Florida and Louisiana, serving as lead singer, nattuvanar (playing the traditional cymbals to keep time with the dancer and drummer) and relaying detailed explanations during the performance.
Growing up in a household where dance was a daily activity, Anjali has performed for a variety of cultural presentations and special occasions. Among her dance career highlights, she performed Bharata Natyam with her mother and two sisters, Vidya and Anandini, in the Michigan Opera Theater’s rendition of “Lakme” in 2002. She also played the leading role of Parvati in the Kuchipudi dance drama, “Parvati Parinayam” in 1995.
After her arangetram, Anjali served as assistant teacher for her mother, Sudha Chandra Sekhar, with Hindu Temple Rhythms, as well as a senior performer for HTR’s dance company, Vidyanjali, and vocal support for the Vidyanjali Orchestra led by her older sister, Vidya. She helped organize, choreograph and perform in major HTR presentations, including the annual dance recital, Tandav — a performance presented by her mother as a prayer to Lord Shiva, the Hindu God of Dance. Anjali also specializes in choreographing film dances, more popularly known as Bollywood. She also has participated in workshops in other dance styles, including Kuchipudi, Kathak and Mohini Attam.
Anjali and her students in Central Florida have participated in a variety of performances for Indian and Asian cultural organizations, as well as international celebrations in Florida. She conducted Bollywood dance workshops for employees of Universal Orlando Resort and performed Bharata Natyam at Lockheed Martin’s east Orlando campus as part of Asian Heritage Month. She also presented Bharata Natyam and Bollywood dance by her students at the grand opening of Sanaa at Walt Disney World. Her students also were award winners at the Gujarati Society of Central Florida’s annual group dance competition and participated in celebrations including Buddha’s Birthday at the Guang Ming Temple of Orlando and Brevard IndiaFest on Florida’s Space Coast.
Anjali is actively teaching weekly group and private dance lessons online through Skype, Zoom and Google Meet. Students learn the basics of Bharata Natyam, including Adavus (basic exercises), Hastas (hand gestures) and Padabhedas (foot positions) and progress to more advanced techniques, which include traditional items in the Bharata Natyam repertoire, choreography to a variety of Indian music styles and a focus on Abhinaya (expressional dance). Dance lessons also help give students an introduction to Indian languages, including Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Hindi.
Florida Performance Highlights
- Dharma Inc., 14th anniversary celebration in Kissimmee, 2019
- Gujarati Society of CFL Group Dance Competition, 3rd Place in the Junior Classical Dance division, 2012
- Asian Heritage Festival, Bharata Natyam dance presentation at Lockheed Martin’s east Orlando campus
- Orlando Partnership Walk, Aga Khan Foundation fundraiser at Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando
- Annamacharya Sankeertanotsavam, dances based on the works of the great Indian composer, Annamacharya
- Starry, Starry Night Adventure to India, fundraiser at Rollins College in Winter Park
- Sastriya Natya Sumanjali, Indian classical dance showcase in Central Florida
- Universal Orlando Resort, Bollywood workshop for employees celebrating Asian Heritage Month
- Telugu Association of Greater Orlando, Sankaranthi and Ugadi celebrations
- Diwali and IndiaFest celebrations, Hindu Society of Central Florida in Casselberry
- Muthamizh Sangam of Central Florida, celebrations in Casselberry
- Sri ShivDham Mandir, Diwali fundraising dinner in Altamonte Springs
- Orlando Regional Malayalee Association, Christmas and Onam programs in Altamonte Springs
- Sanaa, presentation for restaurant grand opening at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge in Lake Buena Vista
- Buddha’s Birthday Celebration, Guang Ming Temple of Orlando
- Ascension Church International Festival, student performance in Melbourne
- Viera High School International Day, student performance in Melbourne
- IndiaFest, Melbourne
- India Day, Melbourne
- Hindu Temple Fundraiser, Ft. Myers